The Berkeley Disaster Team (BDT) is a volunteer, student-led organization that helps prepare UC Berkeley for disasters and aids in non-medical campus disaster response. We are sponsored by the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) and UCPD.
Interested in joining the Berkeley Disaster Team? We recently ended our recruitment season for Spring 2019, but check out our Facebook page for more updates and semesterly recruitment dates. Come be a part of our family and find your passion in preparing for and responding to disasters.
The BDT’s Mission:
- PREPARE the campus for disasters through presentations and outreach
- TRAIN students to perform non-medical disaster response
- RESPOND to disasters at UC Berkeley when mobilized by the OEM/UCPD
The BDT augments campus response by:
- Staffing the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and supporting ESF Operational Centers
- Managing resources and disaster logistics
- Supporting victims through psychological first-aid
- Organizing mass care (shelter setup and operations)
- Registering and supervising spontaneous (untrained) volunteers
- Distributing food, supplies, and information
What Have We Done?
- Distributed 1,000+ N-95 respirator masks to UC Berkeley students for hazardous Camp Fire wildfire smoke in Fall 2018
- Staffed the campus emergency operations center for the 2017 “Free Speech” protests
- Trained 1500+ UC Berkeley students in personal preparedness
- Provided Psychological First Aid (PFA) at the Spring 2018 mass casualty incident drill held by Berkeley Medical Reserve Corps (BMRC)
- Ran and coordinated logistics department for Rock Medicine at SF Pride Parade 2018 & Outside Lands Music Festival 2018
Some of Our Partners: